Little Mountain History
Facts About Little Mountain
- Little Mountain is located at latitude 34กใ 12' and longitude 81กใ 25' in Newberry County.
- When Little Mountain was first settled it was referred to as the "Back Country."
- The mountain is a monadnock which is an an isolated mountain or rock that has resisted the process of erosion and stands alone in an otherwise flat area.
- The mountain was referred to as Ruff's Mountain until sometime in the 1800's.
- Ruff's Mountain was originally a part of Lexington County.
- The present line between Newberry and Lexington Counties were run around 1917 and all of the property in this section was not place on the Newberry County books for taxes until sometime in the 1920's.
- The east end of the mountain was at one time owned by Mr. Sam Birge. It was later owned by Arthur Kohn. It changed hands between the two several times!
- The land came into the possession of the Derricks in the 1930's.
- The other end of the mountain was owned by Abraham N. Boland which contains most of the acreage that is now the town of Little Mountain.
- Frederick H. Dominick was appointed as postmaster in May of 1852. Abraham Noah Boland was appointed as postmaster of the Little Mountain Post Office in 1888.
- Mr. Boland's farm became the site of the depot when the C. N. & L Railroad (Columbia, Newberry, & Laurens Railroad Company) began
- The town was incorporated and Mr. Boland became the first mayor of the town.
More About A. Noah Boland
- Mr. Boland gave the land to build Holy Trinity Church, a cemetery and one acre for a school.
- He is considered to be the "Father of Little Mountain."
Education in Little Mountain
- In 1892, a school was opened in a tenant house and taught by the pastor of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Rev. S. L. Nease.
- A one-room building was build on the one acre of land donated by Mr. Noah Boland.
- Mr. Thad Dreher taught for two years, followed by Mr. W. A. Counts.
- Increased enrollment brought a two-room building and finally, in 1908 the plans were made to build our present Little Mountain Elementary School. Several additions and modifications have been made to the building since the original construction.
(Town Hall) (Civic Groups)